Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmas!

To celebrate Christmas and the holiday season, I would like to share with you two of my family’s traditional ways of serving fruitcake.

Those of you who don’t like fruitcake may shudder and move on; or if you are feeling bold, give these a try.

Traditional Christmas Cake #1: I think this is actually traditional in a wider community: serve a slice of fruitcake in a bowl heated lightly in the microwave (or oven, if that turns your crank) covered with a liberal serving of warm custard.

Traditional Christmas Cake #2: It seems to me that this decadent tradition probably originated with my family: cut yourself a slice of fruitcake, put it on a plate, smother it liberally in butter (we always kept our butter in the fridge, so this was typically actual slices of butter at my house), and heat in the microwave until the butter has just melted. Christmas cake is decadent anyway, you might as well go the whole hog :-)

Best wishes to all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home