Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Should Know Better

In general, I’m a huge fan of buying DVD sets of my favourite TV series. The advantages are legion: I don’t have to be home to watch them, I don’t have to remember to set my VCR, I don’t have to pay for cable, I don’t have to watch the advertisements (and I don’t have to fast forward through them either).

On the other hand, occasionally I get to the end of a series and wish that I didn’t watch TV at all. What is with the evil tendency of TV producers to pack a whole bunch of plot developments into the final episode, and then leave you hanging for months? I mean, I know that the stock answer is that they want you to wait with baited breath for the next season, but I think the true answer is more likely to be that they are a bunch of sadistic torturers who delight in leaving their fans with a gaping hole in their psyche for months at a time.

Yes, I watched the end of season four of Gilmore Girls last night. Great season, very enjoyable, but argh!!!! At least there is still another season to come (and conveniently, it is being released Dec 13th, so I have a hope of receiving it at Christmas).

I was not much of a fan of the series end for Angel… Was that it? The apocalypse? What about Buffy? Does Angel ever get to be a real boy again?

And those are questions that I have to imagine my own answers for… I hate that.

I was talking with a friend last night, who told me that when she was little, she would go straight to bed immediately after watching a sad movie, without fail. ‘Why?’ you ask? It would never have occurred to me, but her mother knew what was going on without ever asking… she was rewriting the end of the movie in her end, to fix it up so that it ended more satisfactorily.

I’ve never had the capacity for that kind of imagination… I just rail against the reality that was presented on screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home