Thursday, November 10, 2005

More or Less a Success & Computer Woes

You will all be pleased to know that the creme brulée was extremely tasty. Unfortunately, not all of the six servings had set properly, so some of them were more cream and less custard, but tasty nonetheless. And the kitchen torch was fun. Any cooking endeavor that involves open flame has to be good, yes?

On an unhappier note, my computer decided to reject my USB key last night. I was in the middle of using it, and had not touched it in anyway, when Windows 2000 brought up the scolding error message about not disconnecting your removable drive without first stopping it, in peril of screwing things up on your computer. Removing it and putting it back in did not help in any way: the key was detected, but was starred with the yellow exclamation mark indicative of a problem in the device manager. Attempting to reinstall the driver consistently fails, with the cryptic message:

An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

I rebooted into Windows 98, but it provided me with the same disappointing error message.

Of course, when I brought it into the office this morning, it is working just fine.

All of my googling on the error message has taught me that many people experience this problem, but not many figure out how to solve it; or, at least, if they do figure out how to solve it, they don’t post the answer. Blech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home