Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Offended Dignity

Had the most fantastic belly laugh last night, and now I’m going to share it with you, even though that will do even more damage to my poor cat’s dignity.

I was lying in my bed, reading quietly, when a strange noise tickled my unconscious and made me look up. The noise quickly resolved into the sound of a cat scrabbling its way inside my underwear drawer, which I had left open ~4 inches. This is not an entirely unusual sound, as my cats like to curl up on soft piles of clothing, better yet if they can hide inside dresser drawers while they are at it, so I resolved to pay it no mind. However, only a short moment later, the noise transformed itself into the sound of a cat frantically trying to escape being stuck inside my underwear drawer – Katie had managed to get her head and shoulders inside the drawer before discovering she was stuck. My assistance was not required, as through the application of brute force she managed to free herself, only to overbalance off the edge of the dresser drawer and plunge the three feet to the floor below.

I couldn’t keep from laughing, and the look of offended dignity she cast at me was so grave that I laughed even harder; in the face of which she couldn’t even stalk off stiffly as if to say “I meant to do that!” She ended up standing there in a huff, alternately looking away in humiliation & anger and glaring at me for noticing.

Poor kitty ;-(

But never fear, she came up for some petting later and I soothed her ruffled dignity, so all is right with the world again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poor balance-impaired Katie - she's like the anti-Weeble. If there's a way to slip, slide or fall off of something, she'll figure it out.

12:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home