Monday, February 06, 2006

Sorry Blog!

I’ve been neglecting you. What can I say? I’ve been so busy at work that there hasn’t been a whole of lot of introspecting about the world in such a way that I am prepared to write an interesting blog.

So instead, I think I’m going to follow suit on some of the other blogs I’ve read, and comment on the Globe and Mail’s redesign.

First off, I’m not keen on the fact that there is horizontal scrolling when viewing the site at 600x800 (yes, as a nearly blind person I find it necessary to have a very low screen resolution; my mind boggles whenever I see someone using a 14” laptop screen at 1280x1024, as some of my colleagues do). Of course, it is only their advertisement for the Insider Edition at the top which causes it to scroll, but even so, it’s unprofessional.

Second, where did my topic index go? I actually liked the set of menu options down the side that you could click on for their stories on the environment, education, facts & arguments, style etc. I can’t find that stuff anymore… I guess I can search for it… (brief pause for investigation) No, it turns out I can’t really search for it. Plus attempting to use “”s in the search string causes their site to throw a run-time error.

Okay, ignore that first bit, the only thing I care about is the topic index… but I care about that a lot! I give the new design a big thumbs down.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your smart quotes, I'm afraid, have outsmarted themselves; your link is b0rked.

As for the horizontal scrolling, have you ever heard of Greasemonkey? It's an extension that allows you to dynamically rewrite sites after your browser has finished downloading them but before they're actually displayed. It was a matter of three lines of code to permanently remove the advertising block at the top of the Globe and Mail page. It's also altogether possible to build the topic index and to move the menu back down to the side, but I don't know what the previous design was like, so I had nothing to emulate.

That's the nice thing about the web: it's a participatory medium.

Well, for now, at least.

11:00 a.m.  
Blogger Aletha said...

I don't understand my quote problem... I ended up having to use single quotes to fix the link. Oh well.

I have to admit I don't care that much about the horizontal scrolling.

And sadly, putting the menu back down the side won't do me any good, as they have actually removed some of their previous menu choices. That's the part that really bothers me.

8:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home